Download this page as a pdf document »
Ghanesh Das Bio | CV | Artist Statement .
Ghanesh Das is an emerging contemporary Canadian visual artist working in Toronto focused on creating fine art drawings and paintings through the exploration and aesthetics of figurative, landscape and abstract art. A graduate from the Ontario College of Art and Design, employed for many years in the print, design and graphic communication industry, I have now returned to the world of the visual arts as a studying, practicing and exhibiting artist.
Born: Georgetown, British Guyana(West Indies)
Grew up: London, England and Toronto, Canada
Present: Living and working in Toronto, Canada
Full time employed for the past 18 years in the graphic arts, digital imaging and print communication industry as a graphic artist and designer.
Currently Employer: Parker Pad and Printing Ltd. (2005-present)
Current Art Teaching Position: Curry’s Art Store, Markham Ontario
Interests: An active outdoors enthusiast, wilderness adventurer and volunteer event coordinator for various outing clubs – my interests includes all aspects of the outdoors and the visual arts.
Graphic Artist | Visual Artist | Art Teacher | Outdoors Enthusiast
- Ontario College of Art and Design – Graduated with majors in Fine Arts and Graphic Design
- OCAD/Toronto School of Art – Currently pursuing post graduate studies in drawing, painting and digital media
- Humber College – Graphic Arts, Outdoor Education
- Alumni Foundations Studies Award
- Eric Friefield Award for Figure Draftsmanship
- Student Council Award for Painting
- Burton Kramer Award for Graphic Design
- Studio Magazine Design Award of Merit
- Awol/Twist Gallery, Toronto – 10th Annual 12×12 Show
- Color and Form Society of Canada – Biennial Juried Exhibition, Papermill Gallery, Toronto
- Gallery 1313 – The ECO Art Show 2012, Toronto
- Artworks Art School & Gallery – Skin Tones Figurative Art Show, Toronto
- Visual Arts Mississauga – 34th Annual Juried Fine Art Show, Mississauga, Ontario
- Hospice Toronto – Artwork chosen for Christmas Tree of Life promotion
- The Courvisier Collective(Toronto) – Online art exhibition
- Awol/Twist Gallery – 9th Annual 12×12 Show, Toronto
- City of Vaughan – Annual Juried Fine Art Show, Vaughan, Ontario
- Toronto School of Art – Spring Open House Show and Sale, Toronto, Canada
- Visual Arts Mississauga – 33rd Annual Juried Fine Art Show, Mississauga, Ontario
- to be highly proficient in understanding materials and skills as a contemporary visual artist and painter
- to communicate visual ideas and imagery through the medium of drawing and painting
- to seek appropriate gallery and commercial representation whilst engaging both the art world and the public at large
As an artist living and working in the city, as an active outdoors enthusiast in nature -
I’m inspired and influenced by the forces and patterns of both natural and manufactured environments around us. The themes in my work explores the relationships and philosophy between people and places, nature and industry, beauty and truth.
This discourse of painting is about understanding the contrast of sublimity and catastrophe and increasingly about the dynamics of art, ecology and industry in an ever changing global environment.
The painting process I employ is about exploring material techniques, surface textures
and visual symbolism whilst examining subject matter that is relevant and provoking in contemporary art and culture. My painting methodology is a gestural, layered and contextual process – often unfinished and abstracted.
Painting can be sensory, subtle, surprising, bold and confrontational. Art making is about
asking questions of our ideas, idealism and ideologies. Exploring these narratives through a mark-making process of pictorial design and symbolism is why I am drawn to paint.